Wirral Family Safety Unit (FSU) is a team of Independent Domestic Violence Advocates (IDVAs). The Unit provides independent and impartial advice to any high risk victim or survivor of domestic abuse.
How an IDVA can help:
- They will listen to the victim and believe them
- Assess the victim’s risk and prioritise their safety
- Provide advice and support to help them think through their options
- Help them develop their own safety plan
- Support them to end an abusive or dangerous relationship safely
- Understand the impact domestic abuse has on children and help the victim provide them with the support they need
- Signpost to other specialist services such as counselling, housing, legal and refuge services, to help increase the victim’s safety
- Support and explain legal jargon, processes and discuss the victim’s options
- Ensure other agencies work together to help increase the safety of the victim
- Support the victim to make their own decisions that are right for them
- IDVAs are the voice of their clients at MARAC (Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference) meetings and can advocate on their behalf
- Provide advice and guidance to other professionals on domestic abuse
- IDVAs can support people age 16 and above and there are IDVAs who are specially trained to support young people
The Family Safety Unit can be contacted on 666 4914.